Volunteering Abroad: Volunteer in Chile
Volunteer in one of the most geographically diverse countries in South America. The Chilean Ministry of Education is inviting volunteers to take part in English Open Doors, a United Nations sponsored program.
Volunteering in Chile is made possible through English Open Doors, an initiative of the Chilean Ministry of Education and the UN Development Fund. The program’s goal is to give elementary and secondary schoolchildren in Chile greater exposure to the English language.
Working alongside a Chilean teacher, volunteers motivate their students to take an interest in learning English and help them improve their speaking and listening skills. Additionally, international volunteers share their own culture and traditions with their students.
Volunteers have the option of a 4-month or 8-month placement. Placement locations range from the northern desert plains to Andes villages and the picturesque scenery of the Patagonian south.
Note: Participation with English Open Doors requires a participation fee.
|Start Date||Application Deadline||End date (4 month option)||End date (8 month option)|
|March 4th||November 5th 2012||July 26 2013||November 30 2013|
|March 18th||November 16th 2012||July 26 2013||November 30 2013|
|April 8th||November 30th 2012||July 26 2013||November 30 2013|
|June 17th||February 22nd 2013||N/A||November 30 2013|
|July 29th||March 29th 2013||N/A||November 30 2013|
What’s included:TEFL Training from the University of Toronto
- 100-hour TEFL Certificate from the University of Toronto’s TEFL Online
- 1-on-1 assistance from your Teach Away Placement Coordinator
- Assistance with the application process
- Assistance booking flights
- Assistance with obtaining Temporary Residency Visa and Chilean ID card
- Comprehensive online pre-departure orientation session
- Guidance and continued support from your Teach Away Placement Coordinator while volunteering abroad
- Lifetime priority access to international programs offered through Teach Away
- Airport pickup service at Aeropuerto de Santiago de Chile on the Saturday or Sunday before the start of orientation on Monday. (Please note that volunteers arriving outside of these days must arrange their own transfers and accommodations.)
- 7-day, all-expense paid orientation session in Santiago from the Chilean Ministry of Education
- Transportation from Santiago to regional placement site
- Accommodation and meals with a host family for the duration of the program
- Volunteer allowance of 60,000 Chilean pesos, paid on a monthly basis
- Comprehensive medical insurance through Segurviaje
- Spanish E-learning course
- 24-hour emergency support services
- Internationally recognized certification measuring Spanish language proficiency
- Teaching materials and educational resources to be used in school placement
- Certificate of completion from the Chilean Ministry of Education upon completion of service